Art Stamping & Papercrafts

Archive for March, 2014

Annette Lee’s Workshops 2014- March

Second post of the day…. Yesterdays Workshop with Annette.

We again had a choice of stamps and they were also Paperartsy , but this time they were sentiments.  I chose ELB05, a super set by Lin Brown.

Annette also supplied us with a 9×12 inch Canvas Board and a piece of fabulous paper from the new Paperartsy ‘Chatsworth’ collection. this was a hard choice as there are 24 sheets of fabulous quality paper in sumptuous designs. I chose the one in the photo ( it is the piece left after i had covered my canvas) I used the leaf pattern as my top side.IMG_0599

Annette’s choice of paint colours would not have been mine if I had had the choice but they were fantastic!!! Well done to the Paperartsy Team who put this collection together. The colours are (left to right) Chartreuse, Seaweed, Tikka and Chutney.

Annette had a finished canvas for us to look at and deonstrated the properties of the paints and how to apply them we were off!!!!

We started by glueing our paper to the canvas and then covering it with Matt Medium , we then set about painting over the beautiful paper with the Chartreuse and Tikka paint-   EEEEEK!!!

Not to worry, it turned IMG_0600out fine, and as these colours are translucent you could still see the design on the paper through it. We then stencilled over the top of this , in white acrylic paint and left it to dry. I also stamped a sentiment in white and left it to dry.

The next step was to add more Chartreuse and Tikka paint, over the newly added white images,this time wiping it on with a baby wipe.

Part Coloured Canvas

Part Coloured Canvas

More images were added. I used a poppy stencil and a Poppy seed head stencil and stencilled them in white acrylic before adding the Chartreuse, Tikka and Chutney colours. I outlined the stems with a Black Fineliner.

Chrysanthemum stencilled with Grunge Paste and then hand-painted

Chrysanthemum stencilled with Grunge Paste and then hand-painted

I then stencilled the Chrysanthemum head with Grungepaste  and then let it dry

I then painted each petal in the same three colours as the poppy.

Thanks to Janet Vince for the inspiration for this step.

We were also supplied with  an arch shape made from corrugated cardboard that we removed part of the top layer from then painted it , in my case with chutney and then with Chartreuse and Tikka and a little Treasure gold was dusted over when the paint had dried. A smaller arch of white card was painted in a similar fashion and then a small floral stamped image was added. This flower was stamped again onto white card and coloured with the paints and decoupaged over the original . This card was glued to the cardboard arch and that was then glued to the canvas. I then added a bronze key beside the floral image. The main sentiment was stamped in Black Stazon,

Here is the finished Canvas.  I was very pleased with it as it is the first one I have actually finished ,

Finished Canvas

Finished Canvas

The paler greenish fern fronds in the background is the original pattern on the paper and all the other images were stencilled, apart from the sentiments which were stamped.  I would say that if you are going to paint over some designer paper then you need to pick one with a well-defined and somewhat ‘loud’ pattern. Some people who had used a muted pattern did say that they could not see any of the paper through the added paint and stencilling.

Hope you like it.

Looking forward to 5th April, wonder what Annette has in store for us then????


Annette Lee’s Workshops 2014- February

The New Year started with the new format  Workshops from Annette Lee. Still held in Sedgefield Parish Hall she is now teaching mixed media classes using stamps and media from different artists and companies.

In February we used a set of Paperartsy Stamps that we had previously chosen.

Mine were HP120Paperartsy Stamp Set HP1203EZ3EZ, a beautiful mix of 6 images , including a Butterfly, Floral spray and a fabulous Bottle, along with two Sentiments and a vintage style Americana Stamp.

This Workshop was focused on using our choice of stamps and inks in different ways, combining different techniques etc.




Tag colored with Tim Holtz Distress Inks

Tag colored with Tim Holtz Distress Inks



My first attempt was a Manila Tag that I coloured using Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I then used some white Acrylic paint to try to fro a resist.

I then added more distress inks over the top. Not exactly the effect i was hoping for but it came out OK.

I added the Butterfly and Sentiment with Versafine.



Glazed Bottle and Stamped Flower Spray

Glazed Bottle and Stamped Flower Spray

My next effort involved using Metallic Acrylic Paints and dragging them over the top of dried Matt Acrylic .

The Bottle was stamped onto card that had been lightly coloured with DI and then stamped in Brown Stazon. I cut it out and then glazed it with clear EP, I did not go for a copletely flat effect as I wanted it to look like old glass.

The flower spray was stamped , coloured and cut out before being attached to the background. the bottle was then glued over the top. The sentiment was aslo stamped in Brown Stazon but this has not worked too well.

My final effort was to experient with a background piece using pinks and lilac paints with the butterfly stamp overstamped in a shiny paint (can’t remember what it was, sorry). I also made two backgrounds  using the new Sheena Douglass embossing folders, and a flower and mannequin made using two of the stamps on someone else’s choice of stamps .

Mixed pieces made on the day

Mixed pieces made on the day

All in all a great day was had by all, Thanks Annette.