Art Stamping & Papercrafts

Archive for December, 2014

Paperartsy Blog #3 UP Post

I was lucky enough to be asked to do a project for the Paperartsy Blog For Decemebr.

This is it:-

Hi everyone, here's my take on PVA crackle…


I decided to do a ‘pretty’ grungy Heart Hanging with my version of a PVA Crackle effect. This effect varies depending upon the paint used and the thickness of the PVA. I don’t use ‘neat’ PVA as it is a bit too thick for this effect, I use a mixture of 1/3 water and 2/3 PVA mixed together and stored in a small bottle.


Step One:

I painted my Heart Shape with PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paint in Mulberry and let it dry. I then painted on the PVA and Water mixture, only on parts of the Heart Shape and let that dry too. DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN AT THIS STAGE, just let it dry normally.




Step Two:
Once the glue solution had dried I over-painted the whole heart shape with PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paint in Chalk. I left it for a minute or two and then USED THE HEAT GUN over the areas where the PVA solution was painted. You should start to see the PVA bubble under the surface and the top layer of paint will crack. The darker paint will show through and the top layer looks like a layer of weathered painted wood.


Step Three:
I wanted a more sedate cracking on the main wood shape. I used the same colours on a piece of card and used a thicker layer of the PVA solution and you will see that this gives a more distinct crack. I then stamped my sentiment in Black Archival Ink, (from PaperArtsy stamp set EDY10) onto part of this card and cut it out using a die, then edged it with gold powder, heat embossed.


Finally…
The large heart was then toned down in some areas using Distress Inks to give it a less ‘bright’ finish and then I stamped some images, again from EDY10, in Versamark and embossed them using a gold embossing powder. I then coloured the flowers using the same Mulberry paint that I used for the base coat of the heart. The small verse image and the flying birds were stamped in a contrasting colour.



I added some stencilling to the background using Milled Lavender Distress Ink and some paper roses edged with the Milled Lavender.


I really enjoyed doing this project and I hope that you like it.


Margaret


Our final contributor tonight is Deb Wainwright. (@lilacsparkles)